These pictures were created as part of my Designing Fantasy Workshop, developed before year 2000.
The process of designing fantasy can start with a real life object, and work on the images of the conventionalized idea.
Take, for example, the following example of an armoire:
If you look at the properties of this object, it can be described as follows:
- A tall wooden cabinet, standing on four legs;
- One, two or three drawers at the bottom;
- Larger double door cabinet area above drawers;
- Doorknobs on drawers and doors;
- Decorative wooden trims ornamenting entire piece.
To create a fantasy version, first the conventional design was sketched. Next, interesting ornamentation was applied (stripes, borders, decorative top, etc).
The shape of the armoire was also heavily distorted.
Here you can see also some color studies, always aiming to create a fantastical, out of the norm version.
Although heavily distorted and whimsical, the object still retains the basic properties of an armoire.
©Copyright 1998 Eni Oken